The Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal is seeking a reporter
who can marry strong traditional journalism skills - source
building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess, strong
analytical and investigative reporting, clear writing, document use
- with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform,
this reporter will produce content that is accompanied by
perspective and context for an elite audience of business owners,
executives and professionals in one of the nation's most vibrant
Specifically, this reporter will cover retail, restaurants and
food/beverage manufacturing in the Twin Cities - producing
everything from scoops about significant developments and
transactions to sophisticated analysis of the issues that
affect those markets. The Twin Cities is a retail hub, being home
to Target, Best Buy and other national and regional retailers, and
a food-manufacturing hub, with General Mills, Cargill and several
other sector heavyweights. In addition, our restaurant
scene is rich with nationally recognized operators as well as the
headquarters of national chains like Dairy Queen.
A Business Journal reporter is competitive, collaborative and
curious. He or she is expected to contribute both short- and
long-form stories to our news products online, in email, on mobile
and in print. Specifically, reporters are expected to own every
important story on their beat(s); use networking events, social
media platforms and other community-building outlets to expand and
fortify their source base and audience; work collaboratively with
other newsroom staffers to maximize impact and accessibility of
stories reported; and meet or exceed goals related to audience
engagement. Also, scoops matter. A lot.
• Proven excellence in reporting and writing
• Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy
events and sources
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in
person, on the phone and online
• A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and
• Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content
that differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera,
• Minimum of 3 years of reporting experience.
• Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active
• Proven experience building and maintaining a strong source
• Knowledge of business principles essential.
• Twin Cities' community experience a plus.
B.A. journalism or equivalent work experience
To apply, email a resume, snappy cover letter and links to clips
that best show enterprise and scoops reporting to Editor Dirk