Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M-F
The Echo Sonographer II is an experienced and fully competent sonographer who performs a variety of routine to complex echocardiograms including but not limited to Transthorasic Echocardiogram or TTE, with Color, Spectral Doppler and 2-D imaging, Transesophageal Echocardiogram TEE, Plain Stress Echocardiogram or Dobutamine Stress Echocardiogram, TTE with bubbles, TTE with Contrast and advanced TTE such as TTE with 3D imaging, for both inpatient and outpatient studies. Provides additional support for pharmacologic and exercise stress procedures, holter testing, EKG and/or cardiac event monitoring as well as advanced procedures when needed (i.e. TAVR). Locates, evaluates and records pertinent anatomical, pathological and functional data while using different systems of ultrasound equipment. Transmits exam to compatible DICOM storage applications, process preliminary technical data in designated interpreting system, and communicates any significant findings to the attending reading physician. Actively participates in unit-based or system quality and compliance initiatives. This job requires availability to be on call.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 30%
* Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
* Assists with training new staff members and mentoring clinical students, to help build confidence in skills, knowledge and abilities.
SERVICE - 20%
* Performs cardiac echo studies, while ensuring precise and accurate data is transmitted for physician completion. Provides additional support for pharmacologic and exercise stress procedures, holter testing, EKG and/or cardiac event monitoring as well as advanced procedures when needed (i.e. TAVR). (EF)
* Provides care for the physical needs of patients when conducting the cardiac echo studies. As well as, educates patients who require inpatient or outpatient echo exams by providing explanations of purpose and techniques used during the exam. Proactively identifies issues and how to address them for optimum outcomes. (EF)
* Provides direct assistance to physicians and other health care team members during cardiac echo studies including, patient preparation before procedures and performs proper sterile techniques as indicated in support of the procedure.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
* Identifies and recognizes cardiac structures accurately, including: calculate valve area, pressure gradients and ejection fraction when performing echo studies. Confirms the quality of the study is concise and clear to optimize best images for the patient care team and interpreting physician. (EF)
* Identifies abnormal findings when performing exams or processing data and takes corrective action or communicates immediately, when appropriate, to proper personnel for the best results. (EF)
* Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with infection control procedures. Complies with job, departmental and hospital safety standards, practices and policies. (EF)
* Ensures all patient care equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
* Assists with implementation and education of departmental based safety initiatives and standards of practice.
FINANCE - 10%
* Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered, when applicable. (EF)
* Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
* Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities.
* Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Sonographer.
* Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging students and co-workers in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below
3 years experience as a Cardiac/Echo Sonographer; may consider HM Echo Sonographer with at least two years experience at least one of which is as an Echo Sonographer with HM.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
American Heart Association BLS
Must have one of the following credentials:
Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) from American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS)
Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) or Registered Congenital Cardiac Sonographer (RCCS) from Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
* Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology/ Cardiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
* Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
* Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing workflow and actively participating in problem solving
* Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
* Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Activity Checklist attached (see below)
Includes office, patient care units, and invasive procedure areas.
May include exposure to hazardous chemicals, blood borne pathogens and radiation.
Adherence to universal precautions is required.
Extended periods of standing and walking are required.
Able to flex hours and work other shifts to meet needs related to unanticipated acuity; meet operational needs.
Assumes "on-call" responsibilities when required and operates as after-hours support.
% of Time Spent Inside: 95
% of Time Spent Outside: 5
General Yes No
* General ¿ ¿
* Depth Perception ¿ ¿
* Color Perception ¿ ¿
Smelling ¿ ¿
Hearing/Listening ¿ ¿
* Simple ¿ ¿
* Complex ¿ ¿
* English ¿ ¿
* Foreign Language ¿ ¿
* Hand ¿ ¿
* Finger ¿ ¿
* Dexterity ¿ ¿
* Sensitivity ¿ ¿
(Heat, texture, etc.)
Sitting ¿ ¿
Standing ¿ ¿
Twisting ¿ ¿
Bending ¿ ¿
Stooping ¿ ¿
Squatting ¿ ¿
Kneeling ¿ ¿
Heaviest weight lifted 25
Heaviest weight push/pulled 100
Distance pushed/pulled 3 ft
Does the job require lifting weight?
Above At Below
Weight Shoulder _
01 - 10 lbs. ¿ ¿ ¿
10 - 25 lbs. ¿ ¿ ¿
25 - 50 lbs. ¿ ¿ ¿
over 50 lbs. ¿ ¿ ¿
Mobility Requirements Yes No
Walk ¿ ¿
Run ¿ ¿
* Stairs ¿ ¿
* Ladders ¿ ¿
* Inclines ¿ ¿
* Objects/Equipment ¿ ¿
Crawl ¿ ¿
Carrying (30 lbs.) ¿ ¿
Extreme Cold ¿ ¿
Extreme Heat ¿ ¿
Noise ¿ ¿
Dust ¿ ¿
Fumes/Odors ¿ ¿
Confined Spaces ¿ ¿
High Places ¿ ¿
Mechanical Equipment ¿ ¿
Electronic Equipment ¿ ¿
Pressurized Equipment ¿ ¿
Keyboard ¿ ¿
Computer ¿ ¿
Telephone ¿ ¿
TV Monitor ¿ ¿
Mechanical Equipment ¿ ¿
* Non Motorized ¿ ¿
* Motorized ¿ ¿
(Includes cars, trucks, forklifts, etc.)
Hand ¿ ¿
Long Handle ¿ ¿
Precision/Surgical Inst. ¿ ¿
Power ¿ ¿
¿ ¿Power Precision
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race..... click apply for full job details