Buffalo Business First is looking for an Editor-in-Chief to lead
a talented newsroom in a well-established and growing business
As the highest-ranking newsroom leader, the EIC is responsible for
driving newsroom culture, product strategy and quality journalism
across all platforms. The EIC will lead the news team to build an
engaged audience. The EIC must be equally at home in both print and
digital, with pronounced leadership and innovation on digital
To be successful, the EIC must have well-honed hard news instincts,
a burning curiosity about business and people, a deft editing hand,
and be equal parts leader and entrepreneur. Your passion for great
journalism, deep source building and original breaking news, and
your ability to guide and mentor your news team to perform to your
high standards, will lead you to join the ranks of the best
newsroom leaders in our company.
It is important that our EIC connects to the community, knows the
top and emerging business sectors and companies, and actively
builds a network of sources and contacts among business
influencers. By being out in the community and meeting with
sources, you will have your hand on the pulse of the most active
companies in our region and the people who lead them. And you will
set the standard for how you want your newsroom to operate.
• Define a clear and compelling vision for the look, feel and
voice of our news products, including a thriving digital news
operation, a compelling weekly print edition, daily emails, tablet
and mobile products, special content packages, and news-driven
• Guide, develop and mentor reporting staff, and communicate your
expectations and feedback regularly and with clarity.
• Ensure that strong, engaging visual elements including photo,
video and graphic, are well incorporated into storytelling
• Own the growth of digital and print audiences. Understand the
metrics, and how to interpret them.
• Meet or exceed goals relating to audience growth and
• Lead staff adaptation to new platforms, skill sets, story forms,
and ways of doing things.
• Innovate, bring ideas and employ an entrepreneurial
• Work with other department heads to create new products and other
• Embrace community and business outreach as an ambassador of
• Speak to business groups and other relevant audiences on behalf
of the Business First.
• In collaboration with the publisher, develop, assemble and
moderate high-level panel discussions on topics of interest to the
Business First audience.
• Inspiring, motivating, and a good communicator able to foster
a strong newsroom mission and culture.
• Passionate about covering local business news.
• Innovative, collaborative, seriously curious.
• Knowledgeable about business topics and growth sectors.
• You love local business news and you're curious about the people
behind the business.
• Able to lead and drive growth in a newsroom with varying levels
• Must be able to thrive in a rapidly changing and uncharted media
• Innovator who brings new ideas to help grow Buffalo Business
Must have proven success in newsroom management and team
leadership; digital news management; line editing; running a
multiplatform news operation; and beat reporting.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Beth Hunt, director of
editorial recruiting and development for American City Business